I just began reading Awaken by Kate Kacvinksy. The book is about a girl, Madeline, who lives in 2060. Even though 2060 is only 48 years away, a lot has changed in the world. People don't go out much, and they don't need to, because everything is run on computers. Madeline goes to school online, and therefore doesn't meet with other people face-to-face a lot. Paper books don't exist anymore, and it's illegal to chop down trees. There are hardly any real trees that exist anymore, and Madeline has never seen one before. Instead, people use synthetic trees that they buy online, choose their desired size and height, and have shipped to their homes. People don't call each other to have conversations anymore. Instead, they chat on the Internet, by talking into their computer, which types up what they say. I think that in Awaken, the issue of change is important.
I think that the thing that surprised me the most was about the synthetic trees. Trees are objects that most people see everyday. They're just a part of the atmosphere, the setting of our lives. But Madeline has never seen one, because they don't grow anywhere near her. This is scary to me. When I'm 62 years old in 2060, are there going to be any more trees left? Or will humans cut down so many of them that they'll be gone? It's frightening to think that something so beautiful and vital to humans will turn to plastic. I hope this doesn't happen in the future. So many things are changing in this day in age. For instance, books are now being read on technical devices instead of on paperback. In Madeline's time period, paperback books haven't been manufactured for twenty years. I like paperback books. 2060 is so different than 2012, and this book has gotten me thinking about how I don't want a lot of things to change.
Change is a big topic. Change is good. When something is wrong or unjust, it's important that people try to change it, make it better. But I also think that change can be bad, such as if something changes for the worse. In Madeline's world, people don't go out anymore much, instead they chat with each other online. They go to school online, and get things shipped to them. In addition to the synthetic trees and new books, I don't like this change. I like going outside and glancing at the real, live trees. I like reading paperback books and seeing how many pages I've finished. I also like going outside and meeting people, face-to-face. I don't want these things to change. In Awaken, Madeline meets a boy online, and is hesitant to see him when he wants to meet her face-to-face. She knows that her father wouldn't like that, her going outside. It's as if her father is restricting her freedom, keeping her from doing something, probably because it's unusual to actually see people outside, in person.
In conclusion, Awaken is a book set in the future. Many things have changed, but I'm not sure I really want a lot of things to change. I know that not everything in the world is perfect, or even good, but some things, like trees and paperback books, are worth saving. Why are they worth saving? I think they're worth saving because they are such a vital part of life today, and it would feel funny without them.
Wow, I totally agree with you. It's kind of sad that technology had made people so lazy but without technologies, everything would be made so inconvenient. People just don't want to give up one thing for the other. I also prefer to read paperback books too because it somehow makes me more comfortable. I hope life wouldn't be like that 48 years later...
ReplyDelete