I am almost finished reading Paper Towns by John Green. Quentin is in love with his very mysterious neighbor, Margo Roth Spiegelman. He is currently looking for Margo, who has disappeared from her home the day after she and Quentin spent the night together vandalizing homes and getting back at the people she thinks mistreated her. Quentin, the main character, is obviously the protagonist, and we, as the reader, go on his journey. I can tell that Quentin has changed a lot from the beginning of the book to the part that I am up to now, almost at the end.
At the beginning of the book, Quentin was very hesitant to follow Margo's instructions on where to go and what to do on the night they hung out for the first time since they were little kids. He didn't want to commit any crimes or risk hurting his future. At first he was afraid to break into Margo's friends' houses, and he was very nervous about getting caught. But as the night went on, I could see Quentin becoming more and more obedient towards Margo. He breaks into Sea World with her, something he didn't want to do. He even breaks into his bully's room and shaves off his eyebrow. Quentin started to become more like Margo that night, very laid-back and not very careful or cautious.
Now Margo is missing, and Quentin really, really wants to find her. Along with his best friends Ben and Radar, he drives to an address that Margo left for him on a piece of paper. The place turns out to be an abandoned mini-mall, and even though the building is very old and creepy, they still decide to go in. If Margo hadn't taught Quentin to follow his instincts, I don't think he would have done this. He wouldn't have missed school, and he wouldn't have gone to so much trouble and hassle. Margo is kind of like Quentin's archetype and mentor. She teaches him to let loose and not care as much. I don't really think that Margo taught Quentin for the better, but either way he, as the protagonist, has been greatly affected by her.
In conclusion, I believe that Quentin has changed a lot from the beginning of Paper Towns to where I am now. He is less tedious, and he doesn't care as much about following the rules. I think that Margo caused this change on the night when they went on their crime-spree together, and Quentin decided to listen to her. That night, Quentin became more like Margo, willing to do whatever his heart desires, to be adventurous no matter what. I'm very curious to see if Quentin finds Margo, and how she'll react if he does. I hope that Quentin does find her, because even though I don't think she is a good influence on him, I know that she makes Quentin happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment