I am reading the book Paper Towns by John Green. So far in the book, Quentin, the main character, has followed his neighbor, Margo, on a journey of getting back at all the people she thinks did something bad to her. Quentin drives Margo to all the places she wants to go, and accompanies her in breaking into homes and cars and vandalizing people's property. So far, I think that there are a lot of themes that are popping up in the book, and they include friendship, love, and peer pressure.
First of all, I think that friendship is a big theme is Paper Towns. Quentin relies on his best friends Ben and Radar. They are very close and talk about everything from the prom and girlfriends to school. Also, Quentin has a kind of friendly relationship with Margo, since they are neighbors, but they were also friends since they were little children. Margo has always been the adventurous one. For example, she was very curious when they found a dead man in the park when they were nine-years-old, but Quentin has always been a little more reserved, and not as interested in those types of weird situations.
Ever since high school, Quentin and Margo were not as close. Margo had a lot of boyfriends and friends, and was often caught up in her popularity. Quentin just hung out with his few friends on the sideline. But it sounds like he still likes Margo. After she comes into his bedroom in the middle of the night and asked him to drive her around to help her complete a list of missions with her, and he says yes, he starts to feel things for her. When Quentin is arguing with Margo about trespassing into Sea World, he doesn't hold his grudge for long and instead drives her there and sneaks in too. I can tell that Quentin still like Margo, and wants to be friends, or even more, with her.
Also, I think that peer pressure is a big theme in Paper Towns. Quentin agrees to drive Margo around in the middle of the night even though he doesn't think it's a good idea, because he's pressured in to it. He steals his mom's car and does whatever Margo asks him to do, driving her anywhere she wants to go, including her boyfriend's and best friend's houses in all different directions, and buying her whatever she needs, including fish and shaving cream. He helps her break into some of her friends' homes, something he didn't want to do, but he still does it, risking getting in trouble. I think he does this because he wants Margo to like him, so he's being sucked into her crime-spree so he gets to spend time with her.
In conclusion, I think that friendship, love, and peer pressure are so far big themes in Paper Towns. The themes of friendship and peer pressure seem to relate back to love, and I think Quentin has done all these things, like vandalizing people's houses, shaving off someone's eyebrow, and leaving dead fish behind for them because he wants to impress Margo and do whatever she wants him to do because he loves her. I am very curious to read on to see how Quentin and Margo's relationship grows, if it does at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment