Thursday, December 15, 2011

Archetypes in 13 Little Blue Envelopes

            I am reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson. I am at the part where Ginny has just arrived in England, following her aunt's directions in the letters she sent her. Even though Ginny's Aunt Peg is dead, I think that she is an archetype in this book, because Ginny really admires her life and her advice.
            First of all, I think that Ginny really looks up to Aunt Peg. She admires her life, and how much creativity and fun she put into it. She also likes how Aunt Peg did such interesting things with her, and how much time she spent trying to bond with her. When Ginny and her mom find out that Aunt Peg has died, she doesn't believe it because it was just so shocking to her. Aunt Peg was so lively and so imaginative, it seemed so weird that she'd never see her again. I think that Ginny looked up to Aunt Peg because of how much importance and brightness she put into every day, and this admiration is why I think Ginny felt the need to follow her aunt's letters, to take her aunt's guidance in life. 
            Also, I think that Ginny trusts her aunt, and that is why she chose to follow her instructions in the letters. Ginny knows that even though Aunt Peg acted like a teenager, she would only want the best for her. Aunt Peg really took the time to know and understand Ginny, and that's why I think she would trust her. In life, it's important to have trust in people you know are going to be there for you, people who are close to you, who know your wants and needs, like how Ginny can trust her aunt.
           Another reason I think that Aunt Peg is an archetype to Ginny is because she's a leader and mentor to her. Through the letters that she wrote for Ginny before she died, she instructs her on where to go, when, and what to do. I don't know where these letters will take Ginny, but I predict that at the end of the book she will be more educated and I suspect that she will change for the better. I wonder why Ginny's aunt wrote these letters, and I wonder where exactly it will lead her. 
           An archetypal character is someone who mentors the protagonist, they are someone who guides the younger character with their experience and wisdom.  That is why I think Aunt Peg is an archetype for Ginny. She guides her through her advice and what she knows will be best for Ginny. Ginny looks up to her aunt, and most of all she trusts her, and that is why I think that Aunt Peg is an archetype in this book. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I read this book last year and never considered that Aunt Peg could really be an archetype, because she was dead. I completely agree with you though and I think that your ideas are all very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really liked how you organized your post overall. i liked how in the first two body paragraphs you gave text evidence, then connected it to the real world and also said what the bigger message was (ex: Ginny looked up to Aunt Peg because of how much importance and brightness she put...)

    ReplyDelete